Creative Chemistry 101-Day 4

Ah Day four, my nemesis. I did not have an easy time with this set of techniques, and I’m really unhappy with both my tags and the eventual card. But I promised I’d show the good and the bad, so here I am.

Day four of Tim Holtz Creative Chemistry 101 was all about Distress Re-Inkers. Now, I don’t own very many Re-Inkers, and what I do own aren’t particularly complimentary to each other but hey ho, persevere I will..

The techniques involved Watercolouring with Re-Inkers, Layered Misting Technique and Custom Stamp Pad Technique. Here are the tags I did alongside the videos.

20120403-083023.jpg

How deliciously ugly is that girly?! Sigh.

I had to make two cards for Day Four because I simply could not make all three techniques work together. Hell, being honest, I’m not sure I made them work at all! My crafting mojo took one look at what I was trying to do and moved out.

For the first card, I combined the Layered Misting Technique and the Watercolouring with Re-Inkers technique. My two most hated parts of this course. I utterly detest spray inks. Truly, I do. I’m messy with them, they coat everything in a mile radius. Add to that, that my Re-Inker colours simply weren’t complimentary and you can understand why my crafting mojo headed for the hills.

Anyway, moaning over. I started by stamping the girlie from Tim Holtz’s Stampers Anonymous Winged Things stamp set onto Ranger Speciality Stamping Paper. I then coloured her in using my detail Ranger Water Pen and Dusty Concord, Vintage Photo, Spun Sugar, Wild Honey, Mustard Seed, Crushed Olive, Broken China, Pumice Stone, Fired Brick and Dried Marigold Re-Inkers. I then dried her with my Heat Tool before cutting her out and Cutting off the hat. I then distressed the edges with Vintage Photo and added the words ‘she dreams of’ from Tim’s new Chit Chat stickers. then coated the wings in Glossy Accents and set her aside to dry.

20120403-085609.jpg

Next I created my background by spraying my paper with Dried Marigold Re-Inker (confession: It was Re-Inker with Perfect Pearls as I had changed my Mini Misters for another Class and didn’t want to waste it) Then I attached several Butterfly Stickers and sprayed again with Wild Honey Re-Inker. I then set it aside to dry.

20120403-101707.jpg

I then die cut lace strips from white card using Tim’s Vintage Lace die, misting them with Biscotti Perfect Pearls Mist and colouring the edges with Pumice Stone Distress Ink. I also coloured a piece of seam binding ribbon with Victorian Velvet Distress stain, crumpling it into a ball and drying it with my heat tool. I then dabbed it with Vintage Photo Distress Ink and attached it to the bottom of my background with a strip of Wonder Tape. I attached the lace strips to the top and bottom of the background using Ranger Collage Glue Stick.

Next I took a piece of heat resistant acetate and stamped the butterflies from Tim’s Papillion stamp set in Clear Embossing Ink before sprinkling it with Ranger Bridal Embossing Tinsel and heat setting it with my Heat Tool. I then used Tim’s Butterfly Movers and Shapers to cut three of the butterflies from the acetate and also three from a paper I’d liberally spritzed with more Re-Inker mists. I then attached the acetate butterflies to the misted butterflies down the body only, bending the acetate wings so they sat as if in flight. I then attached pearls to the body of all three.

Next I glued my girlie to the background, adding an ideology crown where the hat should be. I then attached the three butterflies before attaching the words ‘winged things’ that I’d punched from my label maker. Finishing by adding an ideology token and a pair of tiny wing charms.

20120403-113549.jpg

I’m pretty ambivalent towards the finished card. It’s not my style to be honest, and I’m not sure I like it but that’s what I made so there you have it. I should also pass credit to my six year old son, the butterflies were his idea, as was some of the composition. He loves the finished product, typically.

The final technique was the custom stamp pad, and I confess I haven’t actually finished it as yet. My mojo is still on strike for these techniques I fear. Still, I’ll share where I’m at.

I started by stamping the butterflies from the Papillion set, using my custom stamp pad, onto Speciality Stamping paper. I then heat set it with my heat tool. Next I pressed Clear Embossing Ink all over the page and coated it in Ranger UTTE. I gave it six coats of UTTE before letting it cool. Once cool, I bent the paper backwards to shatter the UTTE before inking the shards with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.

20120403-114511.jpg

20120403-114529.jpg

20120403-114547.jpg

And that’s pretty much where I left it, I’ll try to remember to share the finished piece once my ever elusive mojo decides to make its return.

Advertisements

Leave your musings, critiques and random ponderings here.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: